Wanna hear about the time we almost died on our roadtrip?? Oh wait, let me rephrase that...
Wanna hear about the TIMES we almost died on our roadtrip?? You do? Thought so. :) Here we go.
1. It all started in Whitehorse. Capital of the Yukon Territory. We rolled in around 7 pm and needed to stretch our legs. So we decided to walk down the cute little street and shop for souvenirs. Of course, everything was closed. So we just kept walking to the end of the street where we could get a good look at the river.
On the bank of this river is an old trolley station. As we walked to the back of it I look over to see a man coming towards us. He has straggly hair and a ratty old jacket on. My sister noticed something silver in his hand which he quickly shoved in his pocket and turned around. I watched as he deliberated and turned back towards us, only to think differently when he saw my brother in law round the corner. I tried to forget about it and took pictures for my sister and her family.
When we were through we started back down the street to our hotel. I had a feeling to look behind me only to be scared silly to see the same man with very bulky pockets following us... When he saw my sister look back, he dodged into an alley way... We kept walking. I look back again, he's still following, again, still coming... I'm about to freak out when he suddenly darted to the other side of the street. We made it to our hotel and needless to say- I did not sleep.
Tell me, were we paranoid? Or in the right to be nervous?
2. As we were driving on day 3 (the next day) we came upon our first bear sighting! SO exciting! And then we came upon another, and another, and another! We were ecstatic! The fourth bear seemed to be fairly small still and was pretty close to us. So my brother in law, being the genius that he is, decided he wanted a picture by the bear. Or close enough to show that he was near the bear, anyway. As he got out of his car (we were driving two cars) my nephew started crying because he didn't want to be left alone. So my brother in law takes my nephew with him. LOVELY! I hurry to get a decent enough picture and just as I snap it... the bear starts coming for my brother in law and nephew!! Luckily the bear didn't charge, luckily my brother in law's a runner, and LUCKILY he was holding my nephew. WHEW!
Was it worth it?? Probably. Only because we all survived.
I do not recommend that to anyone...
3. Later that day we passed a large herd (are they called herds??) of buffalo. They were literally all over the street and the side of the road. (look at the cute little babies!) There were cars backed up so of course we stop and take pictures too. As we're snapping away my brother in law gets on the walkie talkie and says "GO! GO GO GO GO GO!!" My sister and I freak out and step on the gas. We're then informed that my niece (who's 5) swears a buffalo was charging right for her in the car. It was a narrow escape.
4. Later that night (yes, all of these near death experiences happened within 24 hours. We were all good after that) we were driving along (I was now driving my BIL's car) and a herd of deer was all over the road. My sister slams on her breaks and I am quick to respond as well. All was well... until I look in my review mirror. My heart stopped as I saw a semi... coming full speed... swerving... behind me. He couldn't make up his mind on what to do. I waited as the seconds ticked by and I could do nothing to help myself without making it worse. He finally was able to swerve to my left just in time and sped on by... my heart then started again.
5. Later... Later that night it got dark (duh). This happened to be the part of the trip that was all canyon road. Cliff on one side, rock face on the other, narrow winding roads, etc. As we were speeding down the highway (For the record- I was following and trying to stay as far back as possible so I didn't have to speed) my BIL slams on his breaks and I do the same only to have a baby caribou run between his car and mine... My thought process was- you're lucky caribou... awww and cute!
So there you have it. 5 near death experiences. Well, sort of. haha! We're lucky to have my nephew around in situations like these. As he held up Mr. Sasquatch he told him "Oh ya monster?! Well you're naked!" Then got in the car. Awesome. :)
P.S. Check out my guest post over at Janette the Jongleur today!! :D I'm talking about the top 10 reasons why Fall is the best season EVER!